5/26/20

Lock down! Loneliness and Anger ...


What have we read in scriptures about loneliness and anger? How do we handle our emotions during these challenging times?

If you believe for one second that we will return to life as we knew it, I hope you will rethink that. The timing of all that is going on is purposeful and has been planned. God knows the plan. He knows their playbook. Nothing can  happen except God allows it. That alone should take away any and all fear. We are His children and we are protected by Him. Does it mean we will have an easy walk? No, I don't know of any Faith walk that is easy. I do know we walk them successfully by leaning on Jesus and His strength! 

During these times of isolation:  whether you are elderly or one with a compromised immune system, or both, the hardest thing to endure is the loneliness. It seems others have jobs, families, friends, someone with whom they can converse and share to make the days easier to live through. Sadly, that is not the case for everyone. Those that find themselves shut in with no contact with the outside world can become very emotional. Sad, lonely, depressed, then perhaps anger will step in.

When you find yourself in this situation and your emotions seem to be getting the best of you, give it to God. All of it! Not just a piece of it ... every speck of it! If it tries to come back, give it all to Him again. Keep doing that until you are no longer influenced by these negative emotions and you will find that you have taken every thought captive and followed Jesus in your thinking and your ways. The transformation time depends on you! No one else! You are accountable for your thoughts and actions! 

What makes me so sure that this is sound advice? Because I am walking it as we speak. I am lonely and isolated. I find myself getting sad and depressed. I know this brings anger to my heart. I also know that as I ask Jesus for help, he is faithful to let me lean on his strength! The following prayers help me. I hope they will be a help to you, as well!

Loneliness
"Surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." Matthew 28:20

Lord, I thank You that You are my true companion -- that I am never alone. You have assigned angels to watch over and protect me. You have given me Your Holy Spirit and promised that You are with me always, even to the very end of the age. What a privilege that You call me Your friend. As we travel this road of life together, on city sidewalks, suburban roads, or country paths, I enjoy Your presence, Lord. Help me never to forget Your presence. 

Anger
Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Ephesians 4:51

Lord, I am so mad! I am angry, and I need Your help. Why do things have to go so wrong? I need to do something with this heated emotion -- and I choose to give You my anger and bitterness, Lord. Help me be rid of it. Redeem the confusion and bring peace to what seems so out of control. Free me from resentment and blame. Show me my part in this conflict as You speak to the heart of my adversary. I need your healing and peace, Lord.

"From Power Prayers for Women, published by Barbour Publishing Inc., used by permission.

Maranatha,
Anna